ST. JOHN’S PARISH LITURGY GROUP
Minutes of meeting held on Monday, 24th April, 2017.
PRESENT: Fr. Tadhg Fitzgerald, Mary O’Carroll, Eileen Doyle, John Jones, Breda Lyons,
Kathleen Houlihan and Nora Clifford.
Confirmation ceremonies went well. Discussion took place regarding the display of the “flames” which the Confirmation children colour and put their names on. For the past few years these have been put hanging on a clothes line which hung between two pillars in the sanctuary. Consider some other method of displaying these next year. Maybe a display board!
Parishioners reacted very well to the reflections which were on the pillars in Church during Lent. The messages were very effective.
Dawn Mass in Curraheen at 6.00am on Easter Sunday:
Mass was celebrated in Annagh Cemetery at 6.00am on Easter Sunday. It was very well attended. Weather was good and there was a great community involvement.
Corpus Christi Procession will process from St. John’s Church via Castle Street, Boherbee and Dean’s Lane to Tobar Naofa. This will be the 100th anniversary of the first procession which was from St. John’s Church to Balloonagh Convent.
First Holy Communion Masses will take place on –
Saturday, 6th May at 10.30am for Moyderwell Primary School.
Saturday, 13th May at 10.30am for Presentation Primary School.
Saturday, 20th May at 10.30am for CBS Primary School.
Saturday 27th May at 10.30am for Gaelscoil Mhic Easmainn.
Phone the Eucharistic ministers on rota to advise them of change of Mass times from 10.00am to 10.30am. Bill Looney will arrange to have stewards present at all Masses.
Invite Confirmation children to 12noon Mass and seat them together. Choose confirmation hymns. Include children in saying prayers of the faithful. As a way of encouraging young people to come to Mass it was suggested that having a youth choir at 12 Mass once a month might be a good idea.
Sacred Space for Pentecost:
Use existing display boards for Pentecost. Look at purchasing new display boards for future use.
Novena to Sacred Heart 15th to 23rd June, 2017:
- Novena prayers and reflection at 6.10pm Mass each evening.
- Corpus Christi procession will take place on Saturday evening and novena prayers will be said after Benediction.
- Service of Reconciliation with confessions (No Mass) on the Sunday evening.
- Church will be decorated with red banners on the pillars.
- Provide basket for people to place their written intentions.
- Blessing of Sacred Heart images and consecration of homes will take place on Friday, 23rd June. Images will be on sale at the church before Mass.
- Statue of Sacred Heart on table near the ambo.
- Light red candles around sanctuary each evening. On the last evening of novena, quench candles at the beginning of Holy Communion and invite people to take one home after Mass.
- Bread and Wine at the centre of Church – organise two people to bring forward at Offertory.
- Advertisement will be placed in Radio Kerry and posters will be printed. Collection will take place in church on the last night of novena to cover cost of advertisements.
More Eucharistic Ministers needed particularly for the 6.10 Vigil Mass and 12 noon Mass on Sundays and the 8.30am and 6.10pm Masses on weekdays. It was decided to discuss this at the next meeting.
10.00am Mass on Monday, 1st May.
As this is the 100th anniversary of the Apparition at Fatima, he felt it would be appropriate to have hymns sung in honour of Our Lady.
Next meeting will be held in September – date to be fixed later.